schadenfreude

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at EMMA.RUC.DK
Tue May 6 07:30:50 UTC 1997

Dear Suzette and Funknetters,

yes and no. Yes, because your perception of the situation is quite right.
No, because you didn't really deserve it - I mean, it all depends on how
sadistic your colleague is, some people would feel schadenfreude at peoples'
sticking their necks out a bit to far and getting remarks for that, but some
people (including me) would feel that the offence is just not big enough to
warrant the feeling. Schadenfreude implies a lot of satisfaction, maybe
that's the definition we are looking for: 'joy that comes from satisfaction
over others's misfortune'.

Hartmut