schadenfreude

Enrique Figueroa E. efiguero at CAPOMO.USON.MX
Wed May 7 09:05:05 UTC 1997

The matter is quite interesting. It would be good to have the opinions of
more Germans and also of colleagues who are NS of other languages, the
Slavic and Finnish, for example. It would also be good to compare their
answers with those of NS of languages that do not have the compound, but
a phrase (as Spanish, in which, I consider, being an NS of it, there is
no banana-peel component).
In languages such as Sp, perhaps, the "S/he had it coming" component
corresponds to entirely different phrasings.
Another very interesting question you have posed is this: has the culture
changed? do such words lose everything but their litteral meaning when
calqued?
ME