Metacomment

Jane A. Edwards edwards at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Nov 11 22:33:24 UTC 1997

I should add that - like many pop psych figures (Another one is
that we only use 10% of our brains.) - the 65% and 90% statistic
also seem to me to be of limited value and questionable validity.
I think these are basically used as metaphors in the culture,
rather than as true scientific findings.  I suspect that if you
find the experiment which gives the number, it will always be
the case that there was a huge amount of extrapolation away from the
experimental context.

-Jane Edwards