forwarded re: lg. localization in brain

Suzanne E Kemmer kemmer at RUF.RICE.EDU
Mon Oct 6 03:51:43 UTC 1997

I've been asked to post the following on Funknet. --S.K.

>>From ocls at ipa.net Sat Oct  4 10:44 CDT 1997
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 10:51:24 -0600
From: ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)

I would very much appreciate hearing something from knowledgeable
members of the list about their reaction to the July 1997 report in
*Nature* (and media worldwide) that persons who learn more than one
language as infants store them in a single Broca's area location in
the brain while those who learn additional languages as adults store
them in separate Broca's area locations in the brain. (Brutal summary,
I know, but enough to identify the topic in question.) Could I have
some reactions? And a reaction to the claim that no matter how many
separate areas of this sort are established, the "semantics" of all
languages acquired is stored in a single Wernicke's area site?  The
research, done with functional MRIs, is also reported in an Internet
news release from Memorial Sloan-Kettering. Thanks for your help....

        Suzette Haden Elgin
        ocls at ipa.net

                                ***