forwarded re: lg. localization in brain

Patrick Griffiths griffith at KULA.USP.AC.FJ
Mon Oct 6 05:04:39 UTC 1997

Suzette Hadin Elgin and others interested might like to know that
Info-CHILDES, the list of the Child Language Data Exchange System,
recently carried a short discussion of the July 1997 NATURE article on
bilingual brain localization.  I found it informative.  Info-CHILDES
discussions are archived at

        http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/childes/index.html

Applications to SUBSCRIBE to Info-CHILDES should, I believe, go to
        info-childes-request at andrew.cmu.edu

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Suzanne E Kemmer wrote:

> I've been asked to post the following on Funknet. --S.K.
>

> >From ocls at ipa.net Sat Oct  4 10:44 CDT 1997
> Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 10:51:24 -0600
> From: ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)
>
> I would very much appreciate hearing something from knowledgeable
> members of the list about their reaction to the July 1997 report in
> *Nature* (and media worldwide) that persons who learn more than one
> language as infants store them in a single Broca's area location in
> the brain while those who learn additional languages as adults store
> them in separate Broca's area locations in the brain. (Brutal summary,
> I know, but enough to identify the topic in question.) Could I have
> some reactions? And a reaction to the claim that no matter how many
> separate areas of this sort are established, the "semantics" of all
> languages acquired is stored in a single Wernicke's area site?  The
> research, done with functional MRIs, is also reported in an Internet
> news release from Memorial Sloan-Kettering. Thanks for your help....
>

>         Suzette Haden Elgin
>         ocls at ipa.net
>
>                                 ***

Dr Patrick Griffiths
Department of Literature & Language
University of the South Pacific
P O Box 1168
Suva
Fiji

Telephone:  (+679) 212314
Fax:        (+679) 305053 (must bear my name to be sure of reaching me)

The University of the South Pacific  is the university of twelve island
countries:  Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue,
Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Western Samoa.    The
main campus is located in Suva,  the capital of Fiji (on Vitilevu,  the
largest of Fiji's 300+ islands),  but there are regional centres in all
but one of the countries served.   There are on-campus students as well
as large numbers enrolled for distance learning.