conference announcement

Michael Darnell darnell at CSD.UWM.EDU
Sun Apr 12 14:13:29 UTC 1998

THE 24TH UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
LINGUISTICS SYMPOSIUM

DISCOURSE ACROSS LANGUAGES AND CULTURES

SEPTEMBER 10 - 12, 1998

Our 24th symposium will be what we believe to be one of the first
conferences to bring together scholars from fields such as

CONTRASTIVE RHETORIC, RHETORICAL TYPOLOGY,

TRANSLATION STUDIES, AND DISCOURSE ANALYSIS.

Although these scholars work in related fields, little opportunity has
existed for interaction among them. The goal of this symposium is to
provide such an opportunity and to facilitate the sharing of knowledge
about cross-cultural and cross-linguistic patterns in discourse, whether
that discourse be spoken or written.

Featured Speakers include:
Ruth Berman  (Tel-Aviv University)
Wallace Chafe  (University of California-Santa Barbara)
Susanna Cumming  (University of California-Santa Barbara)
William Eggington  (Brigham Young University)
Robert Longacre  (University of Texas at Arlington)
Carol Lynn Moder  (Oklahoma State University)
Ronald Scollon (Georgetown University)
Dan I. Slobin  (University of California-Berkeley)
Sonja Tirkonnen-Condit  (University of Joensuu)

All sessions will be held on our campus in the University of
Wisconsin-Milwaukee Student Union. The first plenary session is scheduled
to begin Thursday afternoon.  A full program will be provided at a later
date.

REGISTRATION:  Pre-registration fees are $20 for students, $45 for regular
registration.
On-site registration fees are $25 for students, $50 for regular.
All pre-registration forms must be accompanied by a check or money order
in U.S. dollars and received by August 1, 1998.  (We cannot,
unfortunately, accept credit cards.)
If you wish to pre-register, please send the following information to the
address below.

NAME       ADDRESS   AFFILIATION      EMAIL ADDRESS

Cassandra Stephens
UWM Linguistics Symposium
Dept. of English
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Milwaukee, WI
53201-0413

ACCOMMODATIONS:  Blocks of rooms have been reserved at two hotels near
UWM.  Both have special rates for the symposium, but require mention of
the UWM Linguistics Symposium, and must be secured by credit card, or
one-night's stay in advance.  Some van service from the hotels will be
available.

The Park East Hotel ($63 for single, $73 for double, until Aug. 18)
916 E. State St.
Milwaukee, WI 53202  phone: 1-800-328-7275

The Astor Hotel ($54 for single, $59 for double, until Aug. 9)
924 E. Juneau Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53202  phone:  1-800-558-0200

We may have a limited amount of  "crash space" available.  If you are
interested, please indicate this on your pre-registration letter.  We
cannot, however, guarantee such space.

For additional information, or questions, contact Mike Darnell at
darnell at csd.uwm.edu