"Juan has been working for three hours"

Marta Carretero fling11 at EMDUCMS1.SIS.UCM.ES
Fri Apr 17 14:51:27 UTC 1998

        I have not done any research on the subject, but as a native
speaker of Spanish,I can suggest two equivalent constructions to the
English 'Juan has been working for three hours':

a) Juan ha estado trabajando tres horas.
        (present perfect progressive)

This construction entails that the situation is not persistent, i.e. Juan
is not working any longer, he has just stopped. Stress is laid on the
duration, and Juan may or not have finished the work concerned.

b) Juan lleva trabajando tres horas / Juan lleva tres horas trabajando
        (periphrastic construction)
This construction entails that the situation is persistent, i.e. Juan
is still working.

        I hope this helps.

        Best wishes,

        Marta.