Italian NP

bingfu bingfu at USC.EDU
Thu Apr 23 03:44:04 UTC 1998

Dear Netters,
        Longogbardi 1994 provides the following
paradigm.
                a.      Il  mio Giani ha finalmente telefonato
                        the my Gianni finally          called up

                b.      *Mio Gianni ha finalmente telefonato
                          my Gianni  finally             called up

                c.      Gianni mio ha finalmente telefonato
                        Gianni my finally             called up

                d.      Il   Giani  mio ha finalmente telefonato
                        the Gianni my finally called up

He accounts for the paradigm in formalist terms.
My question is:

1. Is there any functional explanation?

2. Is there any meaning difference among a, c and d,
especially between c and d.

I will incorporate the responses into my final summary
of the query about left-right asymmetries in word order
variation.

        Thanks
        Bingfu Lu
        USC