Fwd: Info. about Ralph Weiman

Ron Kuzar kuzar at research.haifa.ac.il
Fri Dec 18 09:10:08 UTC 1998

I am writing a book on cases of convergence of linguistic and
political discourse in Palestine/Israel. Ralph Weiman figures
prominently in one of the chapters, since he was the first
structuralist linguist to describe modern Hebrew as is, being a
precursor of Haiim Rosen who declared the existence of 'Israeli
Hebrew' two years later. Weiman did this in his 1950 text 'Native and
Foreign Elements in a Language'. I seek answers to three questions
with regard to him:
1. I have an article by him entitled 'The Re-Creation of Hebrew', but
I have no reference. I was told it was published in Commentary, but I
don't have the issue/year. I was also told that there is a slight
chance that it was not Commentary but Midstream. Any info. re this
article will be appreciated.
2. Does anybody know of any other articles by him on Hebrew or on
other Jewish/political matters (scholarly or journalistic)?
3. Is he alive? Does anybody know his address? email? Internet
searches don't help. I had some wrong hits.
Anything else about Weiman that might be pertinent in this context
will be most welcome.
Thanks
Ron Kuzar

     |  Dr. Ron Kuzar                                                              |
     |  Department of English, University of Haifa                     |
     |  IL-31905 Haifa, ISRAEL                                             |
     |  Office fax: +972-4-824-9711                                       |
     |  Home phone: +972-2-641-4780                                  |