'totally novel sentence'

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Jun 23 18:11:16 UTC 1998

This was never a puzzle to me; rather, I found it a great insight when I
first encountered it as an undergraduate in the late fifties, and have
been passing it on to my students ever since.  Simply put:  you almost
never enocunter the same sentence twice--i.e., syntactic construction plus
lexical items.  (What is novel is each unique combination of words and
morphosyntactic patterns.)  The consequence is that, although you can learn
your vocabulary by rote, you can't learn your sentences by rote.  Ergo,
language acquisition must be conceived of as a "generative" or
"constructivist" accomplishment.  The achievements of recent decades of
linguistics do not dim this insight, but merely make it more important:
to be sure, the child learns syntactic patterns, constructions, rich
lexical entries, and so forth--but each actual utterance, produced or
received, calls upon general processing skills (to use another old term,
"competence").

-Dan Slobin
Psychology, UC Berkeley