Mirativity + Thanks

Carl Rubino Carl.Rubino at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri May 8 05:40:00 UTC 1998

Dear Fellow Funknetters,
        Many thanks for all of you who have given me example morphemes in
mirativity in your languages.  I will be preparing a short summary of your
have spawned some interest.
        I'm sorry I forgot to attach the bibliography at the end of my last
message, so many people have referred me to the DeLancey article and Chafe
and Nichols volume which I have read with much interest (I am attaching it
now for all interested parties).
        I also would like to mention that I am most interested in
grammatical morphemes that express surprise/contrary to expectation
phenomena, _not_ interjections and constructions dependent on intonation
(i.e. English, Spanish, French data that has been coming in).  Sorry for
all the confusion about my question.  I will do my best to put together my
summary for you all in the near future and thank you all once again for all
the time you have spent answering my questions.
        Best wishes from Australia,
        Carl Rubino

BIBLIOGRAPHY OF WORKS ON MIRATIVE-TYPE MORPHOLOGY

Allen, Janet. 1978.  Kankanaey Adjuncts. Studies in Philippine Linguistics
2:1:82-102.
Chafe, Wallace. 1976.  The Caddoan, Iroquoian, and Siouan Languages. Hague:
Mouton.
Chafe, Wallace, and Johanna Nichols (eds.). 1986.  Evidentiality: The
Linguistic Coding of Epistemology. Norwood, New Jersey: Ablex Publishing
Corporation.
Chelliah, Shobhana Lakshmi. 1992. A study of Manipuri Grammar. PhD
Dissertation,  Australian National  University.
Crowley, Terry. 1982. The Paamese Language of Vanuatu. Canberra: Pacific
Linguistics B-87.
DeLancey, Scott. 1997. Mirativity: The grammatical marking of unexpected
information. Linguistic Typology 1:33-52.
Donohue, Mark. 1995.  The Tukang Besi Language. PhD Thesis, Australian
National University.
Durie, Mark. 1985.  A Grammar of Acehnese. Dordrecht, Holland: Foris
Publications.
Kimball, Geoffrey. 1991. Koasati Grammar. Univ. of Nebraska Press.
Mosel, Ulrike and Even Hovdhangen. 1992.  Samoan Reference Grammar. Oslo:
Scandinavian University Press.
Porter, Doris. 1979. Northern Kankanay Morphology.  Studies in Philippine
Linguistics 3:2:20-62.
Rubino, Carl. 1997. Reference Grammar of Ilocano. PhD Dissertation,
University of California, Santa Barbara.
Sridhar S. N. 1990.  Kannada. London: Routledge.
Senft, Gunter. 1986. Kilivila. Berlin: Mouton.
Smith, Ian, and Steve Johnson. 1985ms. Kugu Nganhcara. manuscript,
Australian National University.
Thomas, David. 1971. Chrau Grammar. Honolulu:  Oceanic Linguistics Special
Publications no. 7.
Thurgood, Graham. 1986.  The nature and Origins of the Akha Evidentials
System.  In Chafe and Nichols (eds.) 214-222.
Verstraelen, Eugene. 1986. Elementary Analysis of Surigaunun Dialect.
Philippine Quarterly of Culture and Society 14:232-262.
Walrod, Michael. 1979. Discourse Grammar in Gaddang. Dallas: Summer
Institute of Linguistics.

Dr. Carl Rubino
Research Centre for Linguistic Typology
F-Block OAA