Question: semilingualism

Noriko Akiho-Toyoda norri at IBM.NET
Thu May 14 19:17:31 UTC 1998

Hi, I am a Japanese, studying for MA Applied Linguistics in London.
With the dissertation's deadline is now close at hand, it seems I am looking
for different reference every single day.
Could anybody please help me answering the questions as follow:

1) Child's L1 acquisition or SLA
I have heard and read that a child first states only facts, then they learn
to narrate in temporal sequence.  And after that, around at the age of 5 to
9, he expresses in causal sequence.
If anybody know the actual article(s) or paper please let me know. (Could be
Slobin_DI and I searched for no luck) And your opinion is welcome as well.

2) Semilingualism
My supervisor, Prof.. Larry Selinker, told me that this term is not
politically correct.  What is the most appropriate word, would you think?

3) One of the participants of my dissertation research shows that she could
express herself both in Japanese (L1) and English (L2) fluently.  Seems a
balanced bilingual.  But she does not understand once narrative gets
complicated (not in temporal order, abstract).  I am looking for any related
paper.

4)  To collect data, I used a silence film, giving her questions in both
language.  If anybody knows the articles/paper mentioning a similar method
please let me know!

Thank you.

This e-mail address accepts Japanese language