Help for an Iraqi student

John Myhill john at RESEARCH.HAIFA.AC.IL
Thu Nov 12 12:07:13 UTC 1998

Dear fellow funknetters,
For some reason the following plaintive letter came to me at my
old address in Michigan. I don't know about order of adjectives in English
and in any case I doubt a letter from me in Israel would be delivered to
Miss Al-Halawachy in Iraq. Maybe one of you can think of something to send
her?
John Myhill

Miss Ansam A. Al-Halawachy
University of Mosul
P.O.Box 11099
Mosul
Iraq

I am an MA student of the Dept. of English College of Arts working on my
research project entitled pragmatic constraints on Adjective ordering
in English.  My work is going around the order of adjectives suggested
by Quirk et al. to see if there is really such restricted order or not.
As we do not have native speakers o
English in my country, so I decided to choose British and AMerican
literaty
texts i.e. novels to analyze the order of adjectives depending on many
factors.  Of these factors are the syntactic and semantic properties of
adjectives added to them the pragmatic factors such as the psychological
state of the heroes, and the context in which the adjectives are
ardered.
Moreover, the reflection of culture on the writer play an important
role,
and this is why I have chosen novels from two different cultures.
My problem is that I am unable to have an access to any direct article
or reference which
I can get benefit from specially those concerning the pragmatic side of
the research.
All the difficulty I am having in collecting the reference is caused by
the trade
sanctions imposed on  my country making ne living in a prison and
completely
cut off the world.  Thus,it would be very kind of yu if you free me by
sending
me somethng relevant to my concern viz.adjective ordering.
And if it is possible to provide me with the addresses of some people
who
have written abou this field of study.