Storage parsimony vs. computing parsimony

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Wed Oct 7 08:50:15 UTC 1998

Dear Bill,

I cannot go beyond what Brian WcWhinney told you (esp. because I'm a
linguist and not a (trained) psychologist). But I think recent work on
linguistic constructivism (or vice versa) will provide you with some
relevant arguments. I myself have developed some theoretical proposals
concerning the whole question. They are part of my language/grammar
theory approach "Grammar of Scenes and Scenarios" (GSS) that is
(fragmentarilly) documented in my book "Person-Klasse-Kongruenz.
Fragmente einer Kategorialtypologie des einfachen Satzes in den
ostkaukasischen Sprachen" (vol 1 (in two parts) "Die Grundlagen" (to
appear next week at LINCOM (Munich). Don't worry about "East Caucasian":
That's "only" the field of evaluation for GSS that I have chosen. Vol.1
is basically theoretical.- Also see what the NTL people do in Berkeley.

Prof. Dr. Wolfgang SCHULZE
Institut für Allgemeine und Indogermanische
Sprachwissenschaft * Universität München
Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1 * D-80539 München
Tel.: +89-2180 2486
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/