sound symbolism and features

John Kyle jkyle at EAGLE.CC.UKANS.EDU
Thu Oct 15 18:42:41 UTC 1998

        An interesting example of sound symbolism occurs in many of the
Siouan languages.  Boas and Deloria's Dakota Grammar (1941) has several
pages of examples (pp16-18) where the 'degrees' of a verb are
differentiated with the use of different fricatives.  They note that this
is not an active process and the meanings are not always predictable.  In
my notation below; [s^] is a vless palatal fric, [z^] is the voiced pal
fric, [x] is vless velar fric, [g^] is voiced velar fric, also, nasal
vowels are shown with an [n] following ([in] = nasal [i]).  I've only
listed a few here, they list many more.

sapa   black
s^apa  soiled
xapa   grey

winz^a   bent w/out breaking (i.e. twig)
wing^a   bent at a sharp angle

ptuza    it is bent forward
ptuz^a   small pieces cracked off w/out falling off
ptug^a     "     "      "      "   but fall off
woptux'a  crumbs

izuza   whetstone
ig^ug^a  rough sandstone

nuza   soft and movable (a swollen gland)
nuz^a   same but harder (cartilage)
nug^a   hard like a callus on bone, gnarl on a tree

I hope these help.  At least they're interesting.  Bob Rankin also informs
me that many of the Muskogee languages do this also.

John Kyle