storage / computation again

Joyce Tang Boyland jtang at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Oct 31 19:24:47 UTC 1998

This is a bit of a delayed response to Brian
(I'm just coming off of grading mid-terms):

I hope I did not imply that we should use a model of word learning
as the basis for understanding the automatization of syntactic patterns.
If anything, it should be the opposite, that we might use the automatization
of syntactic patterns as the basis for understanding the formation of new
words (like _brokeded_ which does have "slots" so to speak and transitions).

Also, building off Martin Haspelmath's posting which muses about
criteria to use in deciding whether storage or processing is superior,
I think it's worth trying out a stronger claim, namely that
neither storage+retrieval nor computation is intrinsically superior.
In skill learning, you can start either with storage+retrival
of an exemplar (or prototype), or with computation of a sequence.
It depends on the details of the situation which route is used.
But whichever way you learn to use a new construction, the outcome is
not that you have added a new construction (or even a new word)
to your piggy bank, but that you have smoothed a set of transitions
so that such a sequence is more readily assembled and produced.

I agree with Brian that it would be great to have more empirical
psycholinguistic research on these topics, and that it is relevant
both to acquisition and to historical change.

Joyce Tang Boyland