Chomsky

A R beaumar at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 14 06:44:12 UTC 1999

You know, Funknetters, I don't know that I'd call myself either
a formalist or a functionalist.  But one of the most damning things
I know about Chomsky is that he *never* goes to LSA, the one place where he
might face genuine criticism.  A friend of mine, a formalist,
used to argue that he simply never went to academic conferences.

This year, I discover that this is clearly untrue.  Chomsky is going
to talk at the MLA, to those who do literature.   It's only his own that he
refuses to talk to at conferences.