Myhill on Chomsky

Peter A. Reich reich at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 14 18:20:36 UTC 1999

I'm sure God is cited more than Chomsky (I will not engage in a
discussion as to whether God is Living), and probably Bill Gates is
mentioned more than Chomsky as well in the popular media. And Clinton.
So what? It is perfectly respectable in Canada, at least, to be an
Atheist, and to prefer Linux or Macintosh. And, in the US, to be a
Republican. Eat shit; 50 billion insects can't be wrong.--Peter Reich

"For years now, Chomsky has been one of the very few scientists and
philosophers who is widely read. The number of citations of his work in the
Arts and Humanities Citation Index (nearly 4.000 between 1980 and early
1992) makes him the most cited living person and the eighth overall (...),
and the citations of his work in the Social Science Citation Index (7.499
between 1972 and early 1992) are likely to make him the most cited living
person there as well. Last, but certainly not least, from 1974 to 1992 he
was cited 1.619 times in the Science Citation Index" (I quote from the
Foreword to _Noam Chomsky. Critical Assessments_, Routledge, London & New
York, 1994: p. xxii)

It seems quite exaggerated for a false mathematician!

Best Regards,
Jose-Luis Mendivil Giro