What is emergence anyway?

Tom Givon tgivon at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Jul 30 17:30:31 UTC 1999

RE: EMERGENCE

The problem is not how to reconstruct the "proto semantics" of theterm.
Neithe Brian nor Paul (nor anyone else, for that matter) should be bound
by such historical reconstruction. Technical meanings arise from older
informal usages, but are not forever bound to them by the original,
metaphoric, umbilical cord. ("Radial categories" are a DIACHRONIC, not
synchronic, phonomenon).

As I see it, a much more vexing problem is:

   WHAT EMPIRICAL CLAIMS ARE ENTAILED BY THE USE OF THIS TERM?

At the very least, we are in desperate need of some reliable procedure
by which a "strong statistical tendency" that IS the result of a
dedicated neuro-cognitive structure (an 'automated', 'routinized'
system), can be differentiated from an equally strong statistical
tengency that is NOT; i.e., from a "tendency" that is purely
"epiphenomenal" or "emergent" (in the sense Osten attributes to Paul &
Brian).

As far as I know, neither Paul nor Brian have ever bothered to supply
such criteria--or even ideas about how to look for such criteria. But
this remains is a critical issue, because
   (a) many behavioral/statistical generalizations may indeed
       be epiphenomenal, the consequence of complex, indirect chains
       of dependencies. Such "tendencies" thus presumably don't have
       any structure(s)that motivate them DIRECTLY; tho some of the
       complex factors that give them rise may indeed have their own
       dedicated structures.
   (b) many behaviors that DO have strong neuro-cognitive dedicated
       structures do not reach the level of 100% generativity (re-
       gularity, predictability), but remain at the "merely
statistical"        level (say ca. 90%-95% predictability).

So, the fact that a behavioral sub-system has some residual variability
in it, by itself predicts nothing about whether the system is either
"epiphenomenal" or "routinized/automated" (by the latter I now mean
"having a dedicated neuro-cognitive structure"). And the question
cannot, in principle, be resolved by citing linguistic-communicative
(behavioral) facts alone. One has to look for other criteria.

Of course, linguistic facts can give us STRONG HINTS. A behavior that
reaches 90%-plus predictability is quite often a good candidate for
having become automated (thus having "emerged", "grammaticalized" with a
dedicated neuro-cognitively structure). Such cases are so well known in
the psychology of automaticity elsewhere (mnemonics, piano-playing,
kynesiology, etc.). But hints are only hints, and it would be nice if we
could tap into some more direct criteria from "having a dedicated mental
structure" that 'supports' grammaticalized behavior.

It would be nice if, at the very least, we could begin to shift the
discussion in that general direction.

Cheers, TG