What is emergence anyway?

Tom Givon tgivon at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Jul 30 19:14:27 UTC 1999

Liz addressed an important part of the question--whether there are or
are not language-specific dedicated structure. I have no strong
preconceptions on the subject (tho some weak biases...). But the
question of "emergence" in the Hopper/MacWhinney sense (if I understand
it) remains even if the structures are not language-specific:
Automaticity during lifetime learning, through whatever neural
structure, is the hallmark of all skilled acquisition. Grammar is a
skilled performance PAR EXCELLENCE. So when it "emerges", does it
acquire the (at least partial) rigidity & categoriality characteristics
that have been shown in the acquisition of all other complex,
rhythmic-hierarchic skilled behaviours? Here, I obviously have a VERY
strong bias. But regardless of what ones bias is, we've got to find
non-linguistic criteria for seeing whether the PROCESS of "emergence"
does lead to the STATE of "having emerged", or not. I myself find the
"not" option rather bizarre, given what is known about the expenditure
of neuro-cognitive resources during development (both ontogenetic &
phylogenetic). But one way or another, the issue needs to be resolved
through making empirical predictions & then seeing if they pan out.   TG