Oregon: Visiting Assistant Professor

Doris Payne dlpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Mar 15 17:38:23 UTC 1999

Visiting Assistant Professor of Linguistics, University of Oregon.

The Linguistics Department at the University of Oregon announces the
opening of a non-tenure related Visiting Assistant Professor position
for the 1999-2000 academic year, potentially renewable, depending on
Departmental needs.

The Linguistics Department of Oregon enjoys a long tradition of work
within the functionalist tradition, concentrating in descriptive work
and field work and in empirical work on language use, discourse, and
language acquisition.  We invite applications from qualified individuals
who can contribute to the functional and typological orientation of the
department.

Since the openings fill teaching gaps for faculty on leave, the
candidate must show evidence of considerable teaching skill, at both
undergraduate and graduate levels.  The successful applicant must be
able to help cover our core curriculum, which includes phonetics,
phonology, functional-typological morphosyntax, semantics, discourse,
historical linguistics, and second language acquisition and teaching.

In addition, the successful applicant must have an active research
profile and must be able to direct graduate student research.

Qualifications:  Ph.D. in Linguistics

Duties:  Up to two courses per term of hire (we are on a quarter system)

   Mentor students in research projects, as needed
   Participate in department life, as appropriate

Please submit a letter of application, vita, and names, addresses, phone
numbers and e-mail addresses of three references to:  1999 VAP Search
Committee, Department of Linguistics, University of Oregon, Eugene,
Oregon  97403.  Applications must be received by April 16, 1999 to
receive fullest consideration.
Web Address:  http://logos.uoregon.edu/uoling

The University of Oregon is an EO/AA/ADA insitiution.