Grammar with a "G"

Rob Freeman r.j.freeman at usa.net
Fri Mar 19 03:14:47 UTC 1999

I've been kind of distantly following this discussion, but Greg's message came
close enough to my beliefs to make me feel it might be worth posting. Has
anything come up yet regarding 'emergent structure' from 'analogy based'
processing? This has become a vigorous little sub-field of natural language
processing research in recent years: 'example-based', 'memory-based',
'case-based' reasoning etc. Basic idea is that grammar is just the observed
regularities of collections of examples, and analogies to them, which are what
really control our perceptions. You still get grammar, but because the basic
mechanism is analogy it has soft edges.

Rob Freeman
rjfreeman at usa.net