second call for responses

John Myhill john at RESEARCH.HAIFA.AC.IL
Mon Nov 1 07:26:12 UTC 1999

Dear Funknetters,
I greatly appreciate the many answers you all have sent me to my message
'who can you 'love'?' They have been very informative. However, I have
detected
a fairly extreme skewing in the sample of respondents--there were quite a
few females who directly answered my question (i.e. specifically stated
to what extent they themselves could say 'love' (non-hyperbolically and
non-romantically) to describe their feelings about friends), and two males
who identified themselves as gay who gave similarly helpful answers, but
the heteresexual males (or at least the males who did not identify
themselves as gay) uniformly talked in general about their impressions
about how OTHER people use the word or about the meaning in Greek or some
other language; although these answers were interesting, I believe I
detected in this a tactic which woman have referred to as 'avoiding talking
about their feelings.' A number of female respondents specifically said
that they have the feeling that men use the word differently. So how about
it, (non-gay) guys? In spite of all the answers I got, I still have only
myself as heterosexual male data. Help!
John