language endangerment and universals

Susan Herring susan at LING.UTA.EDU
Wed Apr 26 17:55:17 UTC 2000

For my Language Universals and Linguistic Typology course this
semester, I would like to have my students read something about
the consequences of global language endangerment and loss for
the study of linguistic universals and typology.  Ken Hale touches
on this theme briefly in his 1992 article in Language, but does
not develop it fully.  Has anything been written recently that
tackles this important issue head on?

I am teaching the course from a Functional-Typological perspective,
but would be receptive to using articles from any theoretical
perspective, as long as they engage responsibly with issues
that loss of linguistic diversity raises for the scholarly
investigation of language universals.

Thanks,

Susan Herring