Q: Postpositions in English?

mattjuge at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU mattjuge at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Dec 7 22:49:29 UTC 2000

(apologies to those who get this more than once)

Colleagues,

I am wondering if anyone can suggest criteria for deciding whether the
English words "away" (1-3) and "ago" (4-5) should be considered
postpositions.  Part of my interest in the question stems fro the fact
that, unlike prepositions, they are never stranded (3, 5; cf 6-7) (to my
knowledge; I have done only preliminary corpus searching).

1 They are away.
2 They are far away.
3a How far away is it?
3b *How far is it away

4 It happened two years ago.
5a How long ago did it happen?
5b *How long did it happen ago?

6 They gave it do Chris.
7 Who did they give it to?

It occurs to me that rather than NP PostP, we might assign a structure
more
like DEG Adv, where DEG stands for degree of difference (like the ablative
of degree of difference in Latin).  Then non-stranding would not
illustrate
differential treatment of adpositions (pre- versus post-) but would
instead
show something else entirely.  One problem with such an approach is the
ungrammaticality of (13).

6 It had happened two years before.
7 How long before had it happened?
8 They were several feet behind us.
9 They were behind us.
10 Two hours later, we decided to leave.
11 Later, we decided to leave.
12 Two years ago I took a film class.
13 *Ago I took a film class.

Finally, if "ago" and "away" should be counted as postpositions, are there
any others in English that I'm missing?

Any thoughts y'all have on any aspect of this would be greatly
appreciated.
I'll post a summary if there's sufficient interest.

Matt Juge

TCU
Department of English
TCU Box 297270