Q: Postpositions in English?

David Parkinson davpark at MICROSOFT.COM
Mon Dec 11 20:12:39 UTC 2000

Another interesting case, similar to 'ago', is 'hence'. Like 'ago', 'hence'
does not appear without some premodifying expression of duration:

1a. *Hence, we will go to the carnival.              (Acceptable, but not
with 'hence' meaning 'some time from now')
1b. Three weeks hence, we will go to the carnival.

Stranding seems to me to be highly unlikely with this:

2. ??How long will you go there hence?

But 'hence' is a pretty upscale and uncommon word when used in this way; so
real data would be scarce.

I worked on this problem in our English grammar not long ago, and decided to
treat 'ago' and 'hence' (as well as 'apart', 'downstream', 'northward', &c.
&c.) as adverbs, not prepositions; mostly this decision was motivated by my
perception of the non-strandability of 'ago' or 'hence' from the NP, as well
as the fact that not only nominal, but also adverbial, material could
specify the duration at least of 'ago' (e.g., 'long ago'). Making this a
postposition would require that the postpositional object slot also be
allowed to be filled by adverbial material, which is a bit odd. It seemed to
be a more attractive solution to mark certain adverbs, adjectives,
prepositions, and subordinating conjunctions as permitting or requiring
premodification by nominal material:

Adjective: [ [Three weeks] pregnant] at the time...
Adverb: [ [4 years] prior to the outbreak of war]... they arrived [ [5 min.]
early]... I like fishing [ [25%] more than I used to]
Preposition: [ [Twelve days] after her birthday] ...
Conjunction: [ [Twelve days] after she celebrated her birthday] ...

Just about any preposition which indicates a path (and thereby implies a
physical distance) can be premodified by a noun phrase of distance:

3a. I live under the bridge ~ I live twenty feet under the bridge
3b. I walked along the path ~ I walked 4 miles along the path
3c. She cam into the room ~ She came barely a foot into the room

Interestingly, 'from', when used in this way, also (like 'ago' and 'hence')
requires nominal premodification:

4a. *We lived [from Houston]
4b. We lived [ [about 30 miles] from Houston]

On a slightly unrelated note, a nice fact about 'notwithstanding' as
postposition is that it can be postposed to a 'that' complement clause:

[ [That she was principal] notwithstanding], ...

David Parkinson, English Grammarian
Natural Language Group
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way