grad program announcement

Tsuyoshi Ono ono at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Dec 22 05:35:23 UTC 2000

Dear colleagues,

We are writing to announce that our department has recently added a third
linguist of Japanese (and new head of the department), Timothy Vance. The
strength of our graduate programs for the past several years has been
data-driven approaches to linguistics and language teaching, and Tim's
arrival adds to that strength. We are one of only a handful of programs in
the nation which has three linguists who take this particular approach to
the study of Japanese.  Our current projects include the development of a
Japanese conversation video corpus and a study of gender-related
differences in Japanese workplace speech.

We offer a Ph.D. program in Japanese linguistics and M.A. tracks in
Japanese linguistics and teaching Japanese as a second
language.  Currently, Ph.D. students can major in either discourse and
grammar, or sociolinguistics.

Our respective specializations are:

Kimberly Jones: sociolinguistics, language and gender
Tsuyoshi Ono: discourse and grammar, language change, research methodology
Timothy Vance: phonology, phonetics, morphology

Teaching and research assistantships are available on a competitive
basis.  For the past several years we have been able to award all of our
students with some financial assistance.  We ask that students who wish to
be considered for financial aid start the application process
early. Please note also that the deadline for admissions applications
(2/1/00) is fast approaching.

Information about our programs can be found
at: <http://w3.arizona.edu/~eas>.  If you have further questions, please
don't hesitate to contact Kimberly Jones, graduate advisor,
(kjones at u.arizona.edu) or myself (ono at u.arizona.edu).  Thank you.

Yoshi Ono
Univ. of Arizona