jibun

John Myhill john at RESEARCH.HAIFA.AC.IL
Fri Feb 18 09:07:08 UTC 2000

Dear David,
I find it difficult (actually impossible) to believe that ANY use of jibun
is constrained to take a subject as an antecedent, or ANY syntactically
defined category for that matter, as an antecedent. It's a pronoun with a
particular discourse/referential function; to try to delimit its usage
syntactically is like trying to delimit the usage of 'someone'
syntactically. If you want to participate in an informed discussion of
this, David, I suggest you learn enough Japanese to read it, see how jibun
is actually used, and see if you can come up with a syntactic rule to
account for it. And if you insist on having a naive discussion of this,
divorced of first-hand knowledge of the language or second-hand knowledge
of the actual usage of the word, please don't do it on funknet, do it on
some formalist network where such discussions are presumably routine.
John Myhill