Grammar Book for School teachers?

Tom Payne tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue May 16 23:00:02 UTC 2000

Dear Funknet People

   I believe this request is relevant to Funknet because it
has to do with publicizing linguistics, particularly
functionalism, among primary and secondary school teachers
and students.

   A friend of mine is looking for two kinds of texts. If
there is one book that fills both needs, that would be
great, but I have a feeling he is looking for two different
books.

   One is a book for school teachers, not necessarily
teachers of English, that can be used as a reference on
English Grammar. One that *explains* things, rather than
just gives arbitrary prescriptive rules would be most
appreciated.

    The other is a book on English Grammar that is suitable
as a textbook for use by secondary school students, i.e.,
ages 12 through 18. Again, what is needed is something that
explains, and describes, rather than prescribes.

   Quirk and Greenbaum's various offerings seem a bit
advanced for what we are looking for.

   I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you might
have.

Tom Payne