position announcement

Noriko Fujii fujiin at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Oct 31 20:34:08 UTC 2000

JOB DESCRIPTION

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF JAPANESE LINGUISTICS

open a tenure-track position in Japanese linguistics.  We seek a person who
specializes in one or more of the following areas--syntax and semantics,
discourse analysis, language change, or sociolinguistics--and whose approach
is that of a functionalist.  Candidates should be prepared to offer graduate
courses in Japanese linguistics and undergraduate language courses, and to
participate fully in our graduate program in Japanese Language and Pedagogy.

Required are a Ph.D. in (Japanese) linguistics and native or near native
fluency in Japanese and English.  We will give priority to candidates with
demonstrated excellence in teaching and originality of research.  The salary
is commensurate with qualifications.
The appointment begins September 16, 2001.

To apply, please send a statement of research and teaching interests, a CV,
three letters of recommendation, and a research sample to: Japanese
Linguistics Search committee, Department of East Asian Languages and
Literatures, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR  97403

Applications will be reviewed from November 15, 2000 until the position is
filled.

THE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO CULTURAL DIVERSITY AND COMPLIANCE WITH THE AMERICANS WITH
DISABILITIES ACT.

Noriko Fujii
Dept. of East Asian Langs. & Lits.
Univ. of Oregon