semantics and pragmatics of to-contraction

Dan Everett Dan.Everett at MAN.AC.UK
Fri Aug 3 18:48:34 UTC 2001

Dick,

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think anything in my proposal involved
'stipulating arbitrary connections', but if the frequency analysis turned
out to work, that wouldn't bother me at all. But gotta/getta facts are 'new'
and I do not see how they can be reduced to frequency.

I should correct an error in my original posting. I was mistaken in the
structures I proposed for RRG. This is a result of thinking for so long in
GB/MP terms. Old habits die hard.

In any case, the two constructions, 'Who do you want to see' and 'Who do you
want to see Bill' are, in RRG, different kinds of 'nexus'. The first one is
called cosubordination in RRG and the second one subordination. This may
explain the extraction facts without my claim about phonological salience,
though I am not sure.

Thanks again for your reply.

Dan