Sum: For query: constituent order in conversational discourse

Kemtong Sinwongsuwat ksinwong at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Wed Dec 19 06:37:55 UTC 2001

Dear List Members,

It's been quite a while since I posed the query on constituents and
constituent order in conversational discourse. I'd like to say thank you
especially to Monica Turk in China, who's recently managed to forward to me
her work on word order in Russian conversation. A fine piece of work indeed.
Also, I'd like to thank Bruce Richman & Wouden A. van der for recommending
Jim Miller & Regina Weinart's (1998) Spontaneous Spoken Language. Anybody
interested in naturally occurring language shouldn't miss this one I agree.
Many thanks also go to Olga T. Yokoyama, Virginia Gill, Sandy Thompson, Don
Carroll, Gene Lerner, and others for insightful discussions and the
following recommendations:

Yokoyama, O. (1986). Discourse and word order, John Benjamins 1986/7. "Ch. 1
is the most difficult one, so it may be better to start with ch. 2 and go
back once you are more at home with the model."

Ford, Cecilia, Barbara A. Fox, and Sandra A. Thompson. To appear.
Constituency and the grammar of turn increments. In Cecilia Ford, Barbara A.
Fox, and Sandra A. Thompson, eds. The language of turn and sequence. Oxford:
Oxford University Press.

Schegloff, E.  (1996).  Turn organization: One intersection of grammar and
interaction.  In Ochs, E., E. Schegloff, & S. Thompson (eds.), Interaction
and grammar.  (pp. 52-133).  Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Happy holidays everybody and thank you all again for taking time to respond.

Kem

"You find true joy and happiness in life
when you give and give
and go on giving
and never count the cost."

                            Eileen Caddy, The Dawn of Change