Pacific Linguistics: new publication

Malcolm Ross Malcolm.Ross at ANU.EDU.AU
Thu Jul 5 02:22:36 UTC 2001

PACIFIC LINGUISTICS is happy to announce the publication of

David Rose
The Western Desert Code: An Australian Cryptogrammar

These works are described below.

Prices are in Australian dollars (one Australian dollar is currently
equivalent to about US$ 0,55.).

David Rose
The Western Desert Code: An Australian Cryptogrammar
PL 513

This volume is a description of the language of Australia's Western
Desert peoples, from the perspective of Western Desert culture,
focusing on what M.A.K. Halliday has characterised as 'ways of
meaning' in the culture.  As a doctoral dissertation The Western
Desert Code received exceptional praise from its examiners, C.M.I.M.
Matthiessen (Macquarie University) called it 'an outstanding
contribution to semiotic and linguistic scholarship in general and to
the description and understanding of Australian Aboriginal languages
in particular... the first contribution ever to give a comprehensive
account of the semiotic complex of an Australian Aboriginal
language-culture, using the resources of a powerful theory to map out
this complex along a number of dimensions... a monumental, brilliant
achievement in absolute terms...  Rose thus clearly belongs to the
class of once-in-a-blue-moon scholars that Whorf belonged to'.  K.
Davidse (University of Leeuven) writes: '... a tremendously inventive
effort of interpretation...  I know of no other work which has so
consistently related to the relation between code, register,
semantics, lexicogrammar and phonology as this Ph.D. thesis'.
2001    ISBN: 0 85883 437 5     xvi + 482 pp.
AUS $59.40      International $54.00

Orders may be placed by mail, e-mail or telephone with:

The Publications Administrator
Pacific Linguistics
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
The Australian National University
Canberra   ACT   0200   Australia

Tel:    +61 (0)2 6249 2742
Fax:    +61 (0)2 6249 4896

mailto://jmanley@coombs.anu.edu.au

Credit card orders are accepted.

For our catalogue and other materials, see:

http://pacling.anu.edu.au (under construction)
--
Dr Malcolm D. Ross