Antecedent-Contained Deletion

George Lakoff lakoff at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Jun 17 19:48:04 UTC 2001

This was one of the old arguments for generative semantics, that is,
for syntactic distribution to be based on semantic considerations.
The kinds of examples I used back in 1966 to argue the case were
distinctions like:

(1) [The man who deserved [it]j ]i got [the prize [he]i wanted]j.

(2) *That Harry [believed that Bill had []j ]i indicated that Sam
would [claim that Max had []i ]j.

(1) is the old Bill Woods sentence (written about by Bach and Peters).

(2) shows that predicates don't work the same way as arguments, for
semantic reasons.

The fact so-called VP-deletion is actually the omission of an
identical predication also explains the ill-formedness of (5) in
Dan's letter.

 From a theoretical perspective, it would not be surprising if
functional considerations fit semantic considerations. After all,
semantically ill-formed sentences tend not to occur and therefore
would be outside of positive functional principles.

It should be said that such considerations also hold in all
contemporary theories where semantic considerations determine
syntactic distributions: e.g.,cognitive grammar and embodied
construction grammar (aka neural grammar).

It's nice to see argument forms from 35 years ago surfacing again.

George