intentionality

Tom Givon tgivon at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Mar 8 04:49:21 UTC 2001

Dear Brian, I'm forwarding your note to Scott, together with some
comments here.

There is a similar passive case in English, the GET passive. Unlike the
BE passive, it tends to (in older working-class people, where it is most
entrenched) to carry a strong sense that the patiend did something
deliberately in order to deserve their misfortune. There's a paper by
Young & Givon tracking the history of this passive (Hopper & Fox eds
1994), but also showing why its history (as an ex reflexive- causative)
is related to its saynchronic characteristics. The 'agentivity' of the
patient of this passive was noted earlier by Robin Lakoff & Dwight
Bolinger, no doubt *inter alia*.

The reason why Scott is down on agents probably has to do wiyth is "best
theory" approach (the 'localistic case hypothesis'), which I myself find
less-than-useful in accounting for case-governed grammatical phenomena
in most languages I've worked with. But given that Scott works on
Tibettan, where the notion of intentionality is rather important in both
the drift to active/stative case-marking and the interaction with the
aspectual/modal system ('mirativity'), I am not sure why he says what he
says. If you ask people who woirk on other active-stative languages
(Kartvalian, Chictaw, Lakota, Iroquois) if they need 'agent' to account
for what they see in their languages, you'll get a resounding 'yes'
(there's a recent paper by Mithun & Chafe on this subject). So I see no
way of getting rid of it.

But of course, both cognition and folk psychology (not to mention the
study of animal behavior) suggest that a notion such as "action under
one's own motivation" is a crucial feature for categorizing moving
objects in an adaptive, predictive way. So one does not need grammar to
arrive at this.

Finally, many, perhaps most, cultures have a concept of culpability that
depends crucially on intentional action and having control. So the
category is certainly all over the place.

Best,  TG