Other metaphors of communication

Steve Long Salinas17 at AOL.COM
Wed May 2 13:30:54 UTC 2001

In a message dated 4/30/2001 11:54:56 AM, bill_mann at SIL.ORG writes:

<< I would be very interested in hearing about other orientations toward
communication and language.  Surely many folks subscribed to this list know
about other traditions. >>

In a message dated 5/1/2001 4:20:17 AM, macwhinn at HKU.HK writes:

<< On the other hand, I think Marc hit the nail on the head with his pointer
to the "resonance" metaphor.  Remember the 60s, when we "tuned in", "hooked
up with vibes", "got on someone's wavelength" and the rest.  Resonance and
vibration are basically the same idea, although I must admit that adaptive
resonance theory says a bit more to me than people just sitting around and
humming "Om", but the core idea is similar. >>

A very important "concept of communication."  Epitomized by "the Holy Word".
Note the singular.  Communication here is conversion to a different way of
life, to a given set of behaviors with a new and different set of objectives.
 The metaphor for communication is "the word."  And it's the power of words
that carries not just raw information but also implication that changes
everything.

"Have you heard the word?" says the song, Surfin' Bird.  "Say the word that
sets you free..." Lennon-McCartney.  In the sixties, "the word" carried deep
implications that not only resonated, but signaled some kind of ambiguous
conversion to a new set of values.  "Get the word out."  "A voice crying out
in the wilderness."  The opposite of taboo.  The danger of propaganda.

Homer's "winged words" moved quicker than the events themselves.  Beyond
eyewitness.  Once again with a strong sense that what was being carried was
not mere data, but conclusions about what to do next.

Finally, "in the beginning was the word, and the word was made flesh and
dwelt among us."  Communication as a priori.  Before anything existed, before
there was anyone to speak it, there was the word.  The Platonic notion that
the elements of communication predate the use of communication.  The Word as
immutable and the physical world as a mere bad imitation.  Cogito ergo sum.

Regards,
Steve Long