NWAV 31: General call for abstracts (deadline June 1)

Andrew J. Koontz-Garboden andrewkg at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Apr 12 13:34:33 UTC 2002

Please distribute widely.

NWAV 31
October 10-13, 2002
Stanford University
Stanford, California

http://www-linguistics.stanford.edu/nwav/
nwav at csli.stanford.edu

Abstracts are invited for papers and posters at NWAV 31. Papers will be 20
minutes.  We invite papers and posters in all areas of sociolinguistics.
We invite papers and posters in all areas of sociolinguistics, but we
especially encourage submissions on questions which, although fundamental
to our field, are under-discussed, or even taboo -- issues we refer to as
'the elephants in the room'.  A few examples are:

* What is an authentic speaker?
* Is there a critical age for dialect acquisition?
* What effect does language in the media have on linguistic variation? ?
* Does differential linguistic ability account for some patterns of
* variation?

Abstract specifications: Abstracts should include the full title of the
submission, author name(s) and full contact information as well as the
text of the abstract. The abstract text must be no longer than 400 words,
not including references. Each person may submit at most one individual
and one jointly authored abstract.

Submissions should consist of the following:

    * Title
    * Abstract text (no longer than 400 words)
    * Up to 3 key words identifying the subject matter of the presentation
    * Name(s) of author(s) (which should not appear in text of the
        abstract)
    * Author affiliation(s), email, phone number, fax number, mailing
        address
     * Specify if you wish your abstract to be considered for: a paper, a
        paper OR poster, or a poster.
    * Please indicate on the abstract if you want it to be considered for
        sessions themed around debates we should be having - but aren't.

Email abstracts to nwav at csli.stanford.edu.

Abstracts should be submitted as a regular, single email message, in ASCII
text. Please do not send any attachments or use any special formatting. If
you do not receive email confirmation within 7 days of emailing your
submission, please re-send. Faxed abstracts will not be accepted. If you
do not have access to email, please send the abstract on a floppy diskette
(Mac or PC) along with one hard copy to:

NWAV 31
Department of Linguistics
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-2150

Deadline for receipt of abstracts: June 1, 2002
Notification date: June 30
Abstracts will be anonymously refereed.

NB: There will be an overhead projector and screen in each room. If you
have other AV needs, please indicate what they are at the bottom of your
abstract.