frequency of person/number

Kees Hengeveld kees.hengeveld at HUM.UVA.NL
Fri Apr 26 21:00:51 UTC 2002

Dear Fritz,

I can give you the facts for Dutch. The frequency dictionary, based on a
800,000 word corpus, shows remarkable differences in the distribution of
pronouns for the written and oral varieties of Dutch. The absolute facts are
like this for the 75 highest ranking words in both subparts of the corpus:

                written         oral
1               07042                   04163
2               00440                   00796
3               16146                   01610

In relative terms, the distribution is as follows:

1               2                       1
2               3                       3
3               1                       2

The predominance of intrinsically deictic pronouns in oral texts is not
surprising. If I split up the figures for speech act participants (1 and 2)
and non-speech act participants the result is as follows:

1/2             07482 (2)               04959 (1)
3               16146   (1)             01610 (2)

What is remarkable is the fact that the second peron pronouns come last in
both subparts of the corpus.

In the figures above I have excluded the impersonal use of the second person
pronoun. I have included adnominal (genitive) and other case forms. For
morphological reasons it is impossible to split up the figures for singular
and plural.

More generally, I think that frequency dictionaries can provide the
information you are looking for.

Best, Kees Hengeveld