Eliminating bias in experiments

dkp at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU dkp at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Dec 5 20:18:02 UTC 2002

Thankyou A Katz,

Species-centrism strikes me as a counterproductive (but widely accepted)
bias in linguistics.

It is not clear to me how bias helps linguistics as a science...and it seems
to make it difficult for many biologists, psychologists and neurologists
to value the other claims, observations and techniques of linguistics...sad,
really.  Many of the techniques of linguistics are very clever and many observations
very telling...

Language: Language is very special...and what humans manage to do is quite
incredible. But, demonstrating that language shares some features with other
communication systems should not surprise us...we are animals too. Vervet
monkeys have different cries for eagles and jaguars.  Birds and whales produce
complex sequences composed of recombinable parts. Many animals can learn
to identify and respond appropriately to a small vocabulary of human words.
Parrots can learn to produce words, identify objects and follow commands...and
they spontaneously recombine parts of words in what appears to be a sort
of play behavior....so reference, in and of itself, doesn't seem unique to
language. And recombination, in and of itself, is not unique to language.
 But, the language ability displayed by a typical adult human being is greater
than the some of such parts....call it an "emergent" phenomenon...something
spectacular that happens when you have the right confluence of capabilities.

I have studied linguistics and animal communication systems (I got my PhD
studying Alex the parrot)...I've never met an animal that has a hope of understanding
this email...but I've met a lot of biased people on both sides of the animal
"language" issue that did not understand the people on the other side.

Theory of Mind: It is interesting that when Chomsky dismissed Skinner's explanation
of language, that somehow, (some) linguists decided that the claims of behaviorism...the
dismissal of an internal life...continued to apply to
all non-human animals. Read Donald R Griffin for a radically different view
on the notion of animal minds.

That's my 2-cents...time to go back to work...but have a great debate.

Dianne Patterson
Cognition and NeuroImaging Labs
University of Arizona