The Necessity of Syntax

Steve Long Salinas17 at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 9 17:39:15 UTC 2002

In a message dated 12/9/02 12:05:31 PM, wilcox at UNM.EDU writes:
<< I would hope that functional linguists don't believe this. I would no more
claim that "syntax is motivated by communicative needs" than an evolutionary
biologist would claim that structure is motivated by functional needs. >>

An evolutionary biologist would not claim structure is "motivated" by
"functional needs."  But I don't know of any remotely conventional biologist
who would NOT claim that biological structure is shaped by function, i.e., by
the success or lack of success the structure has in terms of survival.

If syntax is not shaped by a communicative function, if it is not there to
contribute to the functionality of interhuman information exchange, then what
is it shaped by?  Is it decorative or random?  Is the concept of syntax
unnecessary to a anything resembling a functioning human language?  Can we
think of a similarly effective form of language totally without the
equivalent of syntax?  One where we are sure that syntax's function can be
totally dropped without impairing information flow?

Just as a biological organism must conform to the laws of physics and
chemistry, we might assume that syntax represents an essential solution in
language.  These rules being dictated by what must pass between speaker and
listener in order for a certain amount or quality of information to be
conveyed.  We might assume, without syntax, information would be lost.  And
that we did not make these rules, the rules made us.

If there is a way of creating a language totally without the function served
by syntax, this assumption is wrong.  But, otherwise, it makes sense to
conclude that syntax is mandated by the way the world works and the way
complex information must flow.  Just as biological forms are shaped by
functionality in the environment.  And that any human language -- prewired or
invented by humans -- will have syntax if it is to function as well as human
languages do.

Steve Long