Evolution, and 'functional' + 'social'

Ole Nedergaard Thomsen ont at CPHLING.DK
Fri Dec 13 08:30:13 UTC 2002

Dear Dan,

A correction concerning the Minimalist Program, cf. e.g. Noam
Chomsky's New Horizons in the Study of Language and Mind, CUP, 2000, p. 12
f.:
        "The displacement property of human language is expressed in terms
of grammatical transformations or by some other device, but it is always
expressed somehow. Why language should have this property is an
interesting question, which has been discussed since the 1960s without
resolution. My suspicion is that part of the reason has to do with
phenomena that have been described in terms of surface structure
interpretation; many of these are familiar from traditional grammar:
topic-comment, specificity, new and old information, the agentive force
that we find even in displaced position, and so on. If that is correct,
then the displacement property is, indeed, forced by legibility
conditions: it is motivated by interpretive requirements that are
externally imposed by our systems of thought, which have these special
properties (so the study of language use indicates). (...)"

That is, the formal features are where they are to satisfy language use!

Ole
Ole Nedergaard Thomsen
Dept. of General and Applied Linguistics
University of Copenhagen
Njalsgade 80
DK-2300 Copenhagen S
Denmark