moving beyond

David B. Kronenfeld kfeld at CITRUS.UCR.EDU
Mon Feb 4 21:02:38 UTC 2002

Amen.  With maybe a little add to the effect that Bloomfield himself, in
his actual practice, as nowhere near as bad as he himself made himself out
to be (in what he said should be done)--to cover what then, at the time,
looked to be his science flank.  The "taxonomic" charge against Bloomfield
sort of sticks; the "radical behaviorist" one is, to my mind, a much harder
sell.
                                 David

At 12:10 PM 2/4/02 -0800, Liz Bates wrote:
>Like Talmy, I have mixed feelings about Bruce Ricman's "Beyond Chomsky"
>initiative, although my concerns are a bit different from Talmy's.  I agree
>that this proposed initiative seems to be quite naive regarding the long
>list of linguists who have provided critical alternatives, for many years,
>to Chomsky's particular variants of generative grammar.  So my response to
>each of these mailings has been "Good idea, but hasn't it already been
>done?"  But I have to disagree with Talmy about the magnitude of Chomsky's
>contribution in bringing down the hated behaviorists.  Talmy seems to be
>quite naive regarding the long list of psychologists who have provided
>critical alternatives to behaviorism, for many years, before and during and
>after Chomsky's own contributions.
>
>The truth is that radical, "black box", Watson/Skinner behaviorism was a
>flash in the pan.  Its primary role in history (it now seems) has been to
>serve as a scarecrow for generations of generative linguists.  I think it
>would be useful for functionalists and generativists alike to understand
>this a little bit better.  It is deeply human to want to look inside any
>box that is placed before us.  There were physiological psychologists
>trying to look inside that box throughout the 20th century, and
>experimental psychology has never been without a high proportion of
>influential mentalists.  Donald Hebb comes to mind: his 1949 book "The
>organization of behavior" was really about the organization of the
>mind/brain, and if there is one psychologist in the history of our field
>who has been proven SOUNDLY AND FULLY right, it was Donald Hebb (in case
>you have ever heard the term "Hebbian learning", it comes from Hebb's
>conjecture that "the neurons that fire together wire together", an
>unabashedly associationist principle that has been repeatedly confirmed and
>elaborated in neuroscience since his time -- Eric Kandel's Nobel Prize two
>years ago in many respects represents an acknowledgment of Hebb's victory).
>And then of course there was Edward Tolman, the Berkeley psychologist for
>whom the Berkeley Psychology building is named.  Tolman believed that the
>rat presses the bar because he EXPECTS to be reinforced -- rats have
>expectations, hopes, dreams and aspirations, and psychologists have to deal
>with those facts and build a theory that contains them.  If you would like
>to take a look at his classic paper "Cognitive maps in rats and men", here
>is a URL that will take you right to it...
>
>http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Tolman/Maps/maps.htm
>
>But the list goes on.  Do you know when the term "psycholinguistics" was
>first applied to a conference?  It was in 1952, five years before Chomsky's
>first influential book appeared.  The conference was organized by Charles
>Osgood, to put linguists and psychologists together to talk about
>similarities and differences in their mental models of language as well as
> [...]

David B. Kronenfeld             Phone   Office  909/787-4340
Department of Anthropology              Message 909/787-5524
University of California                        Fax     909/787-5409
Riverside, CA 92521                     email   kfeld at citrus.ucr.edu

Department: http://Anthropology.ucr.edu/
Personal:  http://pweb.netcom.com/~fanti/david.html