changing FUNKNET topics

Tom Givon tgivon at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Wed Feb 6 18:35:20 UTC 2002

Apropo's Martin's question, perhaps it might be useful to review both the
parallels & differences between linguistic/diachronic change and
biological/evolutionary change. Broadly, we concede that they are both
adaptive ('functional'). But there is more to it than broad parallels.

First, there is no either-or dichotomy between random mutation and adaptive
selection.. In biological adaptation in general (evolution), there are
distinct roles in the mechanism for *both*  of these mechanisms. As it is
acknowledged since Darwin, selection is largely adapotive/functional process
But within the selection mechanism itself, there is a (large) role for the
purposive *behavior* of individual members of the population. True,
selection is most commonly discussed as a population-aggregate process, the
mere "consequences" of brute-force mutation. But such discussion is
over-simplified, in that it disregards what Ernst Mayr calls "behavior as
the pacemaker in evolutionary change" (Mayr 1982, p. 611)

Very broadly, I think, you can find analogues to all three components of
bio-evolution in diachronic change. *Innovations* are individual events that
occur spontaneously during individual speech acts. Most of them will never
spread to the population, just like most biochemical mutations have no
evoilutionary consequences. *Selection* is a social-transmission mechanism,
within which individual adaptive behavior is obviously the fine-grained
mechanism. But there is one obvious caveat here:  "Random mutation" in
biology is really a random biochemical event, not a behavioral event. The
vast majority of such events do not reach biochemical viability, let alone
behavioral viability (survival). In diachronic change, on the other hand, we
don't have the equivalent distinction between genome (biochemical events)
and phenome (behavioral events). A random event in diachrony is always
behavioral (i.e. phenome), and thus in principle functional-adaptive.

One may argue, tho, about how *conscious* functional-adaptive innovations
are in linguistic diachrony. And one suspects that some of them are rather
unconscious (phonetically-conditioned assimimations?), while others may be
perhaps (potentially) conscious (a well-turned metaphor? a striving for
better expressive power?).

Yes, this is certainly a more substantive cluster of issues. But I still see
nothing wrong in talking just a bit about poor Noam. Whether you like him or
not (and whether you know it or not), he still looms rather large over
y'all's collective horizon. From our perspective (as Wally says) one must
admit that maybe he casts more shadow than light. But it sure is a giant
shadow...

Y'all be good,  TG