No Subject

Damon Allen Davison philologist at SOCAL.RR.COM
Thu Feb 14 08:54:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 18:13, samantha wilson wrote:
> Why has the study of semiotics been largely ignored by today's linguistic
> community? It would appear from my early and introductory readings that
> semiotics, especially work done by the American scholar Charles Peirce,
> would have a lot to contribute to the study of human lanaguge and
> communication.  Any opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Samantha,

I don't think that semiotics has been ignored by modern linguists.  In
fact, I think most people associated with Cognitive Linguistics---
especially in semantics/pragmatics---would give  semioticians in
general, and particularly C.S. Pierce, their due.  They mainly
concentrate on the anatomy of the linguistic sign and reference ("When
you talk about a tree, you are not invoking the tree itself, but rather
a symbolic link/reference to it.")

Bilyana Martinovski, for example, makes reference to him on a page she
made for an introductory course on Cognitive Semantics:

http://www.ling.gu.se/~biljana/st1-97/pragmalect2.html

You might take a look at her page.  It seems like a good place to start
for early and introductory reading.

Damon
--

Damon Allen Davison