job announcement: amended

Miriam Meyerhoff mhoff at LING.ED.AC.UK
Fri Feb 15 09:38:12 UTC 2002

LECTURER IN DISCOURSE ANALYSIS / STYLISTICS / PRAGMATICS

The Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics at the
University of Edinburgh seeks to appoint a teacher and researcher
with world-class potential to join our challenging and supportive
research community.  We pride ourselves on the strength of our
postgraduate programmes, on the breadth of our undergraduate
teaching, and the success of our active collaborations with other
parts of the university.  For more information on the Department
please visit
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk.

The successful candidate will have a research focus in discourse analysis,
stylistics, pragmatics, or some other area involving language in context
and language use, and an interest in relating research findings in these
areas to formal or functional linguistic theories as appropriate.
Expertise in dealing with texts in languages other than English, or texts
produced by speakers of English as a second language, would be an
advantage.  We also expect that the person appointed will have an
interdisciplinary outlook and an interest in building on existing links
with closely related departments in the university, which include
informatics, education, philosophy, psychology, and English language.  A
completed PhD (or imminent date for completion), evidence of research
potential, and teaching experience at least as tutor or TA are essential.

The person appointed will be expected to contribute to teaching on our
developing set of cross-disciplinary MSc degrees, especially the MSc in
Applied Linguistics.  They will also undertake postgraduate supervision
and develop courses in their areas of interest.  Ability to teach
undergraduate courses in language pedagogy, semantics, sociolinguistics,
and/or syntax would be an advantage.  Further details of the post will
shortly be posted on http://www.jobs.ed.ac.uk.

Filling of this post is subject to budgetary approval.  In any case the
appointment will be made on the Lecturer A scale (currently GBP 20,470 -
24,435 per annum). We will begin reviewing applications on 25 March 2002.
Women and minorities are especially encouraged to apply.

The principal contact person for enquiries is Professor John Joseph
<John.Joseph at ed.ac.uk>