FUNKNET Digest - 14 Nov 2002 to 15 Nov 2002 (#2002-116)

David Palfreyman David.Palfreyman at ZU.AC.AE
Sat Nov 16 07:06:55 UTC 2002

Bernd,
You mentioned "defining African languages as against the rest of the
world".  Does this mean that you'd like us to respond to the questions
also in relation to *non-African* languages, to provide evidence
relating to a hypothesis that these features are *peculiar* to African
languages?
David Palfreyman
Zayed University, Dubai

:-D

>>> LISTSERV at listserv.rice.edu 16-Nov-02 10:03:49 AM >>>
Date:    Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:37:43 +0100
From:    Bernd Heine <bernd.heine at UNI-KOELN.DE>
Subject: Typology of African Languages

I'd like to ask for your cooperation. It seems that on the basis of
the
eleven linguistic properties listed below it is somehow possible to
define
African languages as against the rest of the world. A survey of 70
African
languages suggests that any given African language can be expected to
have
between five and ten of the properties (Ethiopian Semitic and Cushitic
languages are an exception, having roughly between three and five
properties). My question is: Is this a valid hypothesis? I would be
grateful if you could help to answer this question by filling the
questionnaire below for "your" language(s).