Zipf on language change/structure

REGINA PUSTET pustetrm at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 20 22:06:23 UTC 2002

--- Matt Shibatani <matt at RICE.EDU> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>      In connection to the recent posting by Bill
> Croft and the recent
> interest in a usage-based explanation of language
> change-frequency inter
> alia (Bybee and Hopper 2001)-I would like to know
> how Zipf's early work on
> frequency and language structure has been
> (re)assessed, if at all.

Dear Matt:

You might want to have a look at the following
materials:

Pustet, R. (forthcoming). "Zipf and his heirs."
Language Sciences

Pustet, R. (2002). "Discourse frequency and language
change." Paper presented at CSDL 6, Houston, TX, Oct
2002

Since these papers are not published (yet), I could
send them to you as attachments, if you like.

Best,
Regina