Object-initial languages

Ron Kuzar kuzar at research.haifa.ac.il
Thu Oct 24 09:24:59 UTC 2002

Dear colleagues,
I his recent textbook, Andrew Carnie (2002) Syntax: A Generative
Introduction, p. 18-19, says:
"Oversimplifying slightly, most languages put the order of elements in
a sentence in one of the following word orders: SVO, SOV, VSO. A few
languages use VOS. No (or almost no)(6) languages use OSV, OVS."
Note (6) reads:
"This is a matter of some debate. Derbyshire (1985) has claimed that the
language Hixkaryana has object initial order."
Obviously, the very definition of the term subject (and object) may
depend on theoretical considerations (ergative languages?), and so would
the idea of the unmarked or default order.
I am interested in functionally-oriented comments on this issue. Are
there really no object initial languages?
Thanks
Roni
                 Dr. Ron Kuzar
Address:   Department of English Language and Literature
                 University of Haifa
                 IL-31905 Haifa, Israel
Office:       +972-4-824-9826, fax: +972-4-824-9711
Home:       +972-2-6414780, Cellular: +972-5-481-9676
Email:        kuzar at research.haifa.ac.il
Site:ý          http://research.haifa.ac.il/~kuzar