Object-initial languages

Stahlke, Herbert F.W. hstahlke at BSU.EDU
Thu Oct 24 18:32:29 UTC 2002

Dear Ngoni,

Lots of languages can do this sort of thing, but still they exhibit a default word order.  This typically shows up in subordinate clauses, where there tends to be less word order variation.  Does Shona allow the same flexibility in relative clauses or adverbial subordinate clauses?  How do other aspects of word order typology manifest themselves in Shona?

Herb Stahlke
Ball State University

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Ngoni Chipere [mailto:n.chipere at READING.AC.UK]
        Sent: Thu 10/24/2002 5:25 AM
        To: FUNKNET at listserv.rice.edu
        Subject: Re: Object-initial languages

        Dear Ron,

        My native language - Shona - has a rich morphology which allows great
        variations in word order. It's quite possible to have

        VOS
        e.g. Anonwa doro Tendai
               He-drinks beer Tendai, i.e. Tendai drinks beer.

        OSV
        e.g. Doro Tendai anonwa
                Beer Tendai he-drinks, i.e. Tendai drinks beer.

        OVS
        e.g. Doro anonwa Tendai
              Beer he-drinks Tendai, again meaning Tendai drinks beer.

        best,

        Ngoni

        Dr Ngoni Chipere
        Research Fellow
        School of Education, University of Reading
        Bulmershe Court, Earley, Reading, RG6 1HY, UK
        tel 0118 9875123 ext 4943