To be or not to be: phonemes

Yishai Tobin yishai at bgumail.bgu.ac.il
Fri Apr 4 03:51:47 UTC 2003

Dear Suzette and Funknetters,

This discussion has brought me (an inveterate lurker) out from the shadows.

Arguments for and against the phoneme seem never to cease (cf. my discussion on
and summary of the topic in Chapter 1 and the endnotes 6-14 in Phonology as
Human Behavior: Theoretical Implications and Clinical Applications, Duke
University Press. 1997).  They are reminiscent of the early 70s when there were
discussions at LSA and other meetings on whether "deep structure" was
"syntactic" or "semantic" and the different camps would sit on opposite sides
of the auditorium arguing with each other and then be convinced that each one
of them had won the argument and the issue was closed.

The concept of the phoneme (like everything else) is complex,hardly foolproof,
and highly arguable. The existence/demise of the phoneme has been the subject
of much theoretical (descriptive, formal and functional) debate.  As a longtime
functional advocate of the phoneme, I became persuaded/convinced of its
worthiness and reality when confronted with developmental and particularly
clinical situations.

IN MY EXPERIENCE: Children's errors/processes can really be classified as being
phonetic versus phonemic.  For example, if a child says something like /t/ for
/k/ or something like /d/ for /g/ (a process called "fronting") and you repeat
what  the child says; they will adamantly disagree and claim that they did NOT
say what you did; and then they will correct you by saying something that
sounds to you EXACTLY LIKE what you said.  Acoustic analyses of these
utterances show that their (fronted) /t/ or /d/ for /k/  or /g/ is distinct
from their regular apical /t/ or /d/ and, indeed, they have two distinct sounds
in their system and in their production at least one of which "misses the mark"
and overlaps with the other and may not be heard and differentiated by you.
(The same goes for voiced/voiceless distinctions and other sound
substitutions.)

I even think that most regular functional errors/processes are ususally
phonetic (like the above) and if a child has more than merely sporadic phonemic
errors (where s/he cannot perceive or produce different sounds) this may be an
indication of a possible organic origin of an error or pocess.  I have also
noticed that most children make errors primarily with consonants and it may
also be possible that children that make more than sporadic errors with both
consonants and vowels may have an organic origin to these errors/processes.
This, of course, is a hypothesis that must be investigated.

It may also be that anti-phoneme advocates could look at the same data
differently, but, for me, at least, develomental and clinical phonology
supports the existence of what Sanford Shane called that little "bastard", the
phoneme.

Yishai Tobin

--
Professor Yishai Tobin
Department of Foreign Literatures and Linguistics